When Patons and Baldwins built their new Darlington wool factory at Lingfield Point immediately after the Second World War they had a vision to build the most advanced production facility in the world.
Patons and Baldwins has its roots in the very beginnings of the industrial revolution, dating back to the mid 18th century when two entrepreneurs, James Baldwin of Halifax England, and John Paton of Alloa Scotland separately developed businesses working with the early inventions of Crompton’s spinning mule in the mid to late 1770s.
1920 saw the merger of these two successful businesses, creating one of the largest wool manufacturing companies in the world. Construction started on the new Patons and Baldwins wool factory at Lingfield Point in August 1945. The aim was to create a flagship manufacturing base for the world famous knitting yarn company.
The 107 acre site, 2 miles east of the town centre was ideally located next to the Stockton to Darlington railway line, providing the factory with its own railway sidings. By 1951, this revolutionary wool factory was completed at a cost of £7.5m. At over 2 million square feet, this colossus was the largest wool factory in the world.
60 years later, Marchday have transformed this manufacturing base into a dynamic, contemporary business community with an exciting future.
For further history on this important part of Darlington – please feel free to download the book below telling the tale of its past, its present and its bright future.